Friday, November 10, 2006

Veteran’s Day


Yesterday I went to Mackenzie’s school for a program for our veterans. It was so amazing. Made me miss my husband even more to see other kids parents in uniform for a special presentation. At a certain point after several patriotic songs the veterans (active, reserve, and retired) walked to the front to receive card from several of the children. I watched in awe of all of them…when my son tapped my arm and said come on mom we have to walk up too. I of course said NO WAY….LOL and he said yeah we have to go up for Dad, I already worked it out with my music teacher. Tears welled up in my eyes with the thought that my son went out of his way to REMEMBER his dad on Veterans day.

The reason it was so amazing for me was that I know in the definition of the word veteran, my husband is one. But for me a veteran is my grandpa, or his dad…ya know they’re old, they are veterans. But yesterday was put into perspective for me when I realized my 11 yr old KNEW more than I did at that moment.

So with a heart full of pride for my son and my husband, I walked up and collected several cards. I will be mailing them to Shayne on Monday. But I do know he is my HERO, and I so wished I could hear his voice tonight to tell him Happy Veteran’s Day and that his sacrifices are so appreciated and respected by so many in this country. Please if you know a Vet or their family tell them Thank you today. This is an extremely huge sacrifice these military men and women (and their families) make every day….for our safety and our freedoms. Happy Veterans Day Honey…you are a BRAVE MAN, and you make me PROUD.

1 comment:

Chaos Mommy said...

I love all of your graphics Stef! They are so awesome!

Thank you Shayne for your service! You have an incredible wife here who's holding down the fort until you come home! :)