Thursday, October 12, 2006

Eating at the table


Ok so we all grew up with DINNER and real utensils on the dinner table. And everyone around it yelling at once, and most of the time we’d manage to quiet down to say our prayers before dinner. Well that’s the image we all grew up with as kids and what we thought it would always be right? Then we became teenagers and got so busy in school and activates and dating, that dinner was usually waiting in the microwave for us when we got home…but mom or dad still sat down with us right? Well I’m here to tell you I am a lousy mom. I mean I cook SOMETHING for them every night….well I mean there’s something here for them every night even if its microwave SOMETHING they throw in themselves. OMG I suck. My mom was the queen of taking 3 ingredients and making a casserole for dinner and 95% of the time they were good. Holy crap I don’t dirty pans if I can help it. Oh my I stink…my mom would crap herself if she TRULY knew what I‘d become.

So you’re all asking where this “DOSE OF REALITY” came from for me today aren’t you? Well my babies (KD and Seth) asked me to get them French fries from McDonalds today for lunch and I thought hhhhmmmmm well its just the 3 of us, and payday is tomorrow, everyone has diapers, and milk and waffles for breakfast, so ok, lets go. Well I undercut them by going to Bojangles (it was so much closer for me LOL). And we came home with our food in tow to eat. Well I started to set them up at the coffee table and turn on Nick and they are like “NO we want to eat at THAT table.” OMG the kitchen table? What for…we NEVER eat there…well I don’t anyway LOL. So being the mom that I am I said ok, and set them up. They looked at me with those cute little puppy dog eyes and I realized OMG they expect me to sit here too. Wait we only do this for HOLIDAYS LOL. So I do what all moms with those looks do…I sat…NOT happily, but I sat none the less.

We had the best meal of my entire life. I laughed, and they talked to me and to each other, and the most amazing thing happened….NO ONE spilled ANYHING for me to clean up. When they were done eating, they said ok lets go take nap. Holy crap does this “Family Togetherness” thing ROCK. I think I may MAKE dinner tonight and sit at the table with everyone. I will keep ya all updated. But personally if you aren’t a TABLE DWELLER at mealtime…become one, it was worth it to see those FAMILY VALUES we were all raised with in ACTION today. Have a great dinner everyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is very sweet and I have enjoyed skimming through it! I am a Navy Wife with hubby currently on a 6 month deployment. We are starting our THIRD sea duty in a ros (yes, we are crazy!!!) My hubby has been in 18 years (I can't believe it!!! - he's 36 - half his LIFE in the Navy!!!) I'm way younger than him...32! ha ha And we have 2 daughters. Anyway - I will be adding your blog to my favorites. I have been where you are and I'm there now - and I understand. I also understand that having a sense of humor is ESSENTIAL - and you have that part all figured out! Take Care!!

navywife6 said...

Tish...thank you for your kind words and support it helps to know other people don't think I'm nuts LOL